Based on prototype and scriptaculous, this script is unobtrusive, makes preload and is crossbrowser. On author site there is a demo on black background too.
“reflex.js 1.2 allows you to add a Cover Flow™ effect (including reflection) to images on your webpages. *Cover Flow is a trademark of Apple Inc.
It works in all the major browsers – Mozilla Firefox 1.5+, Opera 9+, Safari and IE6+. On older browsers, it’ll degrade and your visitors won’t notice a thing. ”
The original script is:
- Fun and easy to implement! Just add class=”reflect” to your images
- Automatically blends into background colours or images
- It’s easy to vary the reflection height and opacity
- Degrades in older browsers; they won’t notice a thing!
- It’s smaller in size than most images; under 5KB!
as the name suggest, is based on scriptaculous. It allows some params – like amount and opacity
You won’t find much info on the site so you will have to digg the code to see how it’s working. Anyway, it seems to support distance from main image, opacity and transparent gifs (no safari).
If you know other resources on this subject, please let me know.